Thursday, November 16, 2006

Killer Cobbler

I found this recipe in the Philadelphia Inquirer shortly after I got married almost 12 years ago. I don't make this often enough for my husband! I haven't made it at all since we moved back to PA. I will be making this on Thanksgiving as a special request from him.

I hope you enjoy, not only the taste, but the ease of this recipe. I'm gearing it towards Apple, however I will list other fruit options at the bottom as well.

Killer Cobbler

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups sugar divided
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I use a apple wedger, peel and then cut the wedges in half)
2 Tbs Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place apples in a bowl, pour 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbs Cinnamon over top and mix well. Set aside.

Sift together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk and mix well.

In a 13 X 9" pan, cut butter into pats and put in oven to melt. When butter is melted, pour flour mixture into pan. Lay sliced apples into the flour mixture - pressing them in. Do not be afraid to really fill it full of apples. There should be a sweet cinnamon syrup in the bottom of the apple bowl. Sprinkle this syrup overtop.

Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clear and edges are browned.

Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream. Best when served warm....If you have a crowd, it won't last until it's cooled. :D

Fruit variations:

16 oz bag frozen mixed berries, thawed (omit cinnamon)
16 oz fresh strawberries, blueberries OR raspberries (omit cinnamon)
4 medium peaches (add a dash or two of ground ginger and nutmeg!)
4 medium pears (omit cinnamon)
16 oz pitted cherries OR 1 can cherry pie filling

Enjoy!!!

2 Comments:

At 9:31 PM , Blogger jempress said...

hi! i found your site via via familylife. i just wanted to give you kudos for this recipe, my hubby loved it! thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:47 AM , Blogger kbabe1968 said...

THANK YOU!!! :D Glad that it was loved! I can't wait until Thanksgiving, we're having it for dessert! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home