Monday, October 30, 2006

Ultimate Snickerdoodles

My eldest daughter has me thinking and scheming about Christmas cookies already, and it's not even Halloween yet! I our house, there are four cookies I ALWAYS make every year without fail. Chocolate Chip (that should go without saying in ANY home at the holidays), Peanut Butter Blossoms (you know, the peanut butter cookies with the Hershey's Kiss in the center of them), Seven Layer Bars (a decadent bar cookie with layers of choc chips, butterscotch, coconut, etc....mmmm) and last, but not least, Snickerdoodles.

A few years ago, I decided that Snickerdoodles needed a little extra kick of cinnamon, so I actually put cinnamon IN the batter as well as on the outside of the cookie.

I get RAVE reviews and numerous requests for these cookies. And they are my eldest daughter's favorites, she cannot wait until Christmas to make them! (don't tell her, but neither can I!)/


Ultimate Snickerdoodles

2 Sticks Butter (please, no substituting this!)
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs PLUS 2 tsp Cinnamon (divided)
2 Tbs. Sugar

In a small bowl mix the 2 tsp Cinnamon and the 2 Tbs Sugar, set aside.

In a bowl, lined with a sifter or sieve, place flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and 2 Tbs Cinnamon. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, continue to beat. Scrape sides as necessary. Add flour mixture - 1 cup at a time to the butter mixture until well blended.

Refridgerate dough for 30 minutes (or overnight works too).

Preheat oven to 375.

Form dough into walnut sized balls (I use a metal Tbs measuring spoon and scoop). Roll balls into sugar/cinnamon mixture, coating well. Place balls 2" apart on a cookie sheet. Bake about 10 mins until a golden brown. Remove and cool on rack.

Note: they will puff at first when cooking, then flatten - this is normal.


As the season approaches, I'll put up recipes for the other cookies I make!!!!

Happy Eating!

4 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Blogger KFarmer said...

They sound divine- can you make them ahead and freeze or does that take some of the snicker out of the doodle? :)

 
At 4:25 AM , Blogger kbabe1968 said...

No snickers OR doodles are lost by freezing.

I actually will make them up in early december - put dough in even portions in a gallon baggie and "roll" into a slice & bake kind of log.

I MAY try actually breaking them down into the balls this year so all I have to do is thaw, shake and bake. This will work if I get my small cookie dough scoop! LOL :D GADGETS...must....have...more....GADGETS!!!

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger KFarmer said...

you and me both sister- I went to the Kitchen Gallery a few weeks ago and got a pasta rollar- big one end, small on the other, a rice cooker (on sale!) and a new pastry brush! I could have stayed there all day playing with toys! :)

 
At 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried out your recipe last weekend... really excellent! They were a big hit with my co-workers.

I refrigerated the cookie dough for about an hour and used about half of it the first time, and the cookies came out OK, but it was when I used the rest of the batter that had sat in the fridge overnight that I got the best result. The cookies were definitely fluffier. Thanks! :-{>

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home