Friday, October 06, 2006

Fish Chowder

Dug out of my husband's family archives. My mother-in-law is a spectacular cook. Raised in the mid-west and taught to cook probably from the moment she could walk, she is a treasure trove of yummy recipes. When I first met my husband, she used to put out a monthly newsletter to update everyone on each other. My husband has 4 siblings - so there was a lot to keep up on!!! In each newsletter she would include some old family recipes, or recipes she found in magazines. Someday, I think we should compile it into a book because they are all just stunning and delicious. I will most likely post a recipe of hers every so often as they are, of course, among some of my husbands favorites. Here is one I am going to try to make this week. It looks simple, and I know it tastes fabulous as she used to make it every Christmas. I hope you enjoy it too! (oh...it is NOT figure friendly!)


Fish Chowder (from Sunbonnet Sue - Carolyn Knowles)

2 sticks plus 2 Tbs. butter, divided
1/2 Cup onion, chopped
1 Cup celery, sliced thin
1 Cup carrots, small dice
1/2 Cup green or red pepper, small dice (optional)
1 Cup flour
1/2 gallon milk
1 to 1 1/2 lb. fish flakes (like Louis Kemp - sea legs!)

Melt 2 Tbs. butter in a saute pan. Saute vegetables and set aside.

In large stockpot, melt the 2 sticks of butter and add the flour...whisk together (making a rioux). Once smooth, mix for a minute or two to bring out the nuttiness of the flour. Pour in the milk - continue whisking. Cook until thick (coats the back of a spoon). Stir in the sauted vegetables. Add the fish flakes. Stir to combine and cook for about an hour to allow the flavors to blend very well.

ENJOY!!!!

8 Comments:

At 6:35 AM , Blogger Anne Coleman said...

I don't think my mom has the word "figure friendly" in her recipe vocabulary lol

Next....find the cheese soup :O)

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger kbabe1968 said...

Maybe she used "The Two Fat Ladie's" Cookbook as her base?

First, take the piece of lard. Now, let's wrap it in bacon, drizzle it with butter and deep fry it in oil. Plop a little creme fraiche on there and viola - heart attack on a plate!

:D

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger KFarmer said...

Now that's my kind of cooking! Where in the world do you find fish flakes?

PS- making the sauce today w/all the girls. It's a perfect day to have goodies cooking on the stove and all the doors and windows open :)

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger kbabe1968 said...

Kfarmer-cool! I hope you all enjoy it.

The fish flakes, I THINK, are like the Louis Kemp Sea Legs - they look like crab leg meat - but it's monk fish made to look like that I think. That's what my husband said his mom uses.

Our Aldi actually carries their own brand of them which totally cracked me up!!!! That's what I got. They're in the deli/fresh seafood area usually.

:) Happy Hunting.

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger Adopted Son said...

And you did it justice, baby. It was VERY good. PLEASE don't wait another X years to make it again!

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger kbabe1968 said...

Thank you dear! I will be making it again as I have some "sea legs" left...probably NEXT week :D xoxoxo

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

kate spade, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, sac hermes, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet, lululemon canada, timberland pas cher, ralph lauren uk, polo lacoste, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister uk, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, nike free uk, north face uk, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, hollister pas cher, new balance, nike blazer pas cher, true religion jeans, nike air max uk, ray ban uk, oakley pas cher, michael kors, sac vanessa bruno, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, ray ban pas cher, converse pas cher, burberry handbags, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, coach purses, uggs outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air force, north face, hogan outlet

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger wael mohamed said...

شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالخبر
شركة تسليك مجارى بالقطيف
شركة تسليك مجارى بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقطيف

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home