Friday, October 20, 2006

Snack Mix

In honor of my eldest child's seventh birthday, I thought I'd share with all you the recipe for her favorite snack mix. It is the typical, of sorts, cereal and nuts and such mixed together. She loves to make it with me, she loves to eat it with me. Overall, we enjoy it together! I vary it a little bit because I like to put in ingredients we all like best. I hope you like it too!


Snack Mix

7 cups of "square" cereal (like Chex or Crispix)*see note
1 cup almonds (or your favorite nut)
1 cup pretzel fishies (or small pretzel bites)
1 cup soup crackers OR plain fishies (the soup crackers are the mini-bite sized saltines)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 tsp worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 250 (yes that is TWO not a THREE)

Combine cereals, nuts, pretzels and crackers in a large bowl. In a microwave safe bowl melt butter. To the melted butter, add the salt, garlic powder, onion powder and worcestershire sauce, whisk together well. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture and stir to coat all the pieces. Pour into a 13 X 9" pan. Place in oven. Bake for 1 hour - stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in an airtight container after cool.

NOTE: I like to mix the corn, rice and wheat varieties...so mix up that 7 cups. Currently, I've been going to Aldi alot - Aldi's Rice Squares and Corn Sqares are PERFECT for this recipe - as are their oyster crackers.

I can't say how long this lasts. It makes about 10 cups worth and it's usually gone in about two or three days in our house! Just about to go make some now for my daughter. It is afterall her birthday, and it is her favorite snack. :D