Saturday, June 27, 2009

A challenge...an oxymoron...and a reopening of a blog...


I enjoy the occasional baking challenge. And I thought, to relaunch my old blog, I'd start with that!

A few weekends ago, I had the absolute joy of spending and evening with two very good old friends and their husbands and families. I made dessert. The caveat was, that this dessert needed to be made with NO artificial sweeteners and NO refined sweeteners. What I was left with was Blue agave Syrup, Honey and stevia (and after further investigation, stevia was eliminated too! AAAH!)

I love to bake. I love to bake and make something that is delicious and healthy too. Yes. A healthy dessert. Isn't this an oxymoron? Well, I've discovered today that it does not necessarily have to be! This may not be as sweet as the normal american diet sugar-loaded sweet desserts go, BUT it was delicious, received many compliments (even from the kids!), and there was none left. I count that as success.

So....

Berry Nectarine Fruit Crisp

Fruit:

2 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 pint blueberries
2 medium nectarines, skins removed and diced
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbs Blue Agave Syrup

Crisp:
2 cups whole rolled oats (steel cut has a nice texture too)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 Cup Blue Agave Syrup
2 Tbs Honey

Mix fruits together, add lemon zest, lemon juice and blue agave syrup. Mix well. Set in fridge to "marinate" for at least two hours.

Combine whole rolled oats and flour. Mix in butter, blue agave and honey until well blended and resembles course crumbs.

Grease a 13 X 9" baking dish and pour fruit mixture into it. Assemble crumb mixture on top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes (or until bubbly and crumb mixture looks baked and golden). Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.

AND DON'T forget the honey whipped cream! (oooh, 1 cup COLD whipping cream with 2 tbs honey and 1 tsp vanilla, whip until stiff peaks form!)

Okay, well, healthy might be a stretch....but as far as desserts go...it's healthier than most!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home