Monday, December 11, 2006

French Onion Soup

I have been having a massive craving for French Onion Soup (no, not pregnant, to my knowledge!). Well, on Friday, I finally sat down and searched a bunch of recipes. There were none that fit exactly what I wanted and what I had on hand, so I had to adapt a little bit. But this is what I came up with, and it turned out quite yummy!!!

French Onion Soup

4 large onions sliced VERY thinly
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tbs butter
1/2 cup red wine (choose a dry over a sweet, like a Shiraz or a Cabernet, Sherry would work well too)
2 14.5 oz cans Beef Broth
French Baguette
Olive Oil
Provalone Cheese, sliced (you can use swiss, mozz or gruyere if you prefer).
Salt & Pepper

In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add onions and cook over medium heat. When onions are very soft, add garlic and continue to cook. These will cook a long time, until LIGHT brown and carmelized. (I kept my soup pot covered to avoid losing the moisture and allowing htem to really cook down. You also have to stir often). Once onions are carmelized, add wine and cook until the "wine" smell is gone (took about 5 to 10 minutes). Add beef broth. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Add salt & pepper (be careful with salt b/c we're using a can broth). Continue to simmer at a very low heat for about 20 to 30 mins.

While soup is cooking in the last 20-30 minutes. Slice baguette into 1/2" slices on the bias. Lay on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Bake until very crisp.

Ladle soup into oven safe bowls. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Place a piece of baguette in the bowl and cover with slice of cheese. Bake in 450-500 degree oven until cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown on top. Watch VERY closely...it will go fast.

ENJOY!!!!